Data Update 3

Chart

 

Unanswered Question

It would be interesting to see how Canada matches up to other countries like the United States, Australia, the United  Kingdom ect., in terms of violent crime statistics. This question would allow us to pinpoint how Canada is doing on a global scale, whether they are doing better or worse than other countries.

How would you get the Data?

Similar to how I found the CANSIM website, I would search online, for example, the United States Government and see if they have a statistics website where I can find similar data for violent crime statistics. On the off chance that this information is not available to the public I would consider filing a FOI request to get data I would need to answer my questions. With the understanding that not every country in the world will have these statistics readily available, I would likely only search for data from comparable countries.

Comments

  1. I think that your chart is very clear at visualizing the main point of your data and both the main and secondary headings are informative and do a good job of providing insight on how different province's violent crime rate has changed in the decade and a half. Only change I would say is the main heading could be "PEI leading the way as, overall, Canada has become a safer country over the last sixteen years." I like your idea about comparing different countries violent crime rate, however, I would assume that the United Nations would already have that information comparing the safety of different countries so I think trying to get the information from their website would be easiest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your 'unanswered question' regarding comparing this data to data from another country such as the United States. It would help to give more context and shape the data. You also have a solid plan on how to go about finding a similar dataset using other government databases. You would probably only want to pick one other country to compare it to in one specific blog post otherwise you will have many charts that might overwhelm the user.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your chart is really dynamic and does a good job of showing the data and point of your story. I think you also brought up some important points for your question and how you may get those answers. It would definitely be interesting to see some data from comparable countries illustrated in the same way, but as you noted more research would need to be done and you would want to be careful about trying to illustrate too much information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your graph is really interesting to read and its super clear and concise. Your question would be something super interesting to explore more, looking at International countries and how it compares to Canada crime rate. However; it could be hard to find data for all international countries because I know some countries like to keep that private.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your unanswered question is a good one and comparing Canada to other countries is a good idea because it allows you to see if the numbers you have from your data are impressive or not. It's also interesting to see the difference between each major povince through your chart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a very clear chart and it is straight to the point without any distractions, which is great. It is interesting to see that Nunavut and the Northwest Territories are the provinces with an increase rate of violent crimes. It would be interesting to see if there is any causation for this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Solid chart; clear and easy to read. I wasn't sure about the top six provinces being bolded, but it definitely made me pay attention to them (if that was the point, awesome!).
    The sub title was a bit redundant, saying "the last 16 years" and then "2000-2016". I would pick one or the other, or maybe change the wording to spread them apart.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment